Sign in to follow this  
agerfanderfe

Archer

What this man is able to accomplish with bow and arrow is simply amazing!

And, while much of what we know about archery is derived from the Hollywood movie lies, there is some truth to all that.  Just think how an average archer might have used his bow and arrow, standing stationary behind a tree or castle partition.  After all, he wouldn't have been running and making shots at the same time.  Though I would agree that your arrows would scatter if left in an open quiver like that. 

Very impressive display.

And, while much of what we know about archery is derived from the Hollywood movie lies, there is some truth to all that.  Just think how an average archer might have used his bow and arrow, standing stationary behind a tree or castle partition.  After all, he wouldn't have been running and making shots at the same time.  Though I would agree that your arrows would scatter if left in an open quiver like that. 

According to Wiki, the belt quiver was more popular in medievel Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiver

Likely, this would have been easier (and more intuitive) to use, since you only reach to your hip rather than raise your arm over your head.  I'm sure that would be an extremely tiring move over time.

300px-IlkhanidHorseArcher.jpg

And maybe it would depend on if the person was on horseback using archery which seems to have been a popular choice for some nomadic and indiginous peoples, especially when hunting.  If you want to know more about mounted archers you can read about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mounted_archery

I'm sure this relates to gaming in some way as archery and range is very common and popular in numerous games.

The thing that stuck with me, was how putting the arrow on the right side of the string was most effective.  When you see this demonstrated, it just makes sense. I can see myself being able to do that.  He just makes it look easy though. 

I'm sure this relates to gaming in some way as archery and range is very common and popular in numerous games.

The thing that stuck with me, was how putting the arrow on the right side of the string was most effective.  When you see this demonstrated, it just makes sense. I can see myself being able to do that.  He just makes it look easy though. 

I randomly found this video that disputes many of the claims that Lars makes.  It's fairly entertaining, watch it if for no other reason than the lols, if you want. :P

She makes a lot of really good counterpoints and seems very credible in debunking the Lars archery techniques.  And, this idea that all Lars is doing is 'trick shooting' makes sense too.  

I spent a couple years doing archery as a child and used 'the best method' that worked for me, at the time.  That method is nothing like what an adult archer with 40 pound bow would have used.  It's possible, I was doing it all wrong by comparison to another archer but I could still hit the center of a target.   Like she said, archery is about doing what works best for you.